No more excuses…
I’ve been wanting to lose weight for years but haven’t because something like this crossed my mind and I didn’t fight it:
- I feel too fat (a.k.a. self-conscious) to go to the gym right now.
- I’m too busy.
- I will stop at the gym tomorrow on the way home from work. That way, I can save gas.
- Healthy food is too expensive. I can’t afford it right now. At least not until my next paycheck. Then I will.
- I’m just going to have this popcorn while I watch a movie.
- I’m just going to go to Caribou because I feel like it.
- I have to finish this because people are starving in Africa.
Holy hell, no wonder I didn’t lose weight. If you’re determined to do something, then you make it a priority and let nothing get in your way. Excuses were just a way for me to feel less guilty about doing what I really felt like doing, but I was just making a cause that effectively kept myself in a situation I didn’t want to be in. They seemed like little things, but the little things really do add up.
I need to get started and then really stick with it. I read that if you start a diet and then stop, you’ll actually gain more weight than you’ll lose because you’ll trick your body into thinking you’re starving and then your metabolism will adjust to eating less calories, so then when you do start eating “normally” again, you’ll actually gain more than you would have before you started.
But instead of “dieting” I want to focus on eating healthy (i.e. more fruits and vegetables, mostly raw), drinking more water, and start exercising by walking more.
I was watching Grumpy Old Men the other day and the father (Jack Lemmon’s father) in the movie said “you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets full first.” LOL. I think he’s saying you have to take action. I can wish to lose weight all I want, but unless I do something about it and make real effort, another year is going to go by and I’ll be in the same spot. I first started “trying” 6 years ago. That is really scary.
So my friends, my wish for you is that you do something today to move yourself closer to your goals and dreams.
Lots of love,